Eurofound's EU PolicyWatch collates information on the responses of government and social partners to the COVID-19 crisis, the war in Ukraine, rising inflation, as well as gathering examples of company practices aimed at mitigating the social and economic impacts.
Factsheet for measure NL-2021-27/2089 – measures in Netherlands
|Country||Netherlands , applies nationwide|
|Time period||Temporary, 01 July 2021 – 31 December 2021|
|Type||Other initiatives or policies|
Supporting businesses to stay afloat
– Direct subsidies (full or partial)
|Author||Thomas de Winter (Panteia) and Eurofound|
|Measure added||02 December 2021 (updated 31 January 2022)|
This measure is for event organizers who have been affected by the COVID-19 crisis. The government introduced this scheme to provide a subsidy to offset the costs of putting on an event that is unable to take place due to COVID-19 restrictions. This scheme is intended to cover public events that take place during the period of July 1 2021 until December 31 2021, and take place entirely or partially in the Netherlands. The government has made €450 million available for this measure.
The scheme is attributed to the fact that prior to the COVID-19 crisis, event organizers would cover a pandemic risk by purchasing cancellation insurance. This option is no longer available as insurers have changed their cancelation policies. A direct consequence led to organizers no longer being able to afford to take the financial risk of cancellation.
The subsidy covers events scheduled between 1 July and December 31, 2021. If an event was planned for 1 July, it is possible to reschedule the event to a date between July 1 and 31 December 2021. A condition that is imposed for eligibility is that at least one previous edition of the event has already taken place.
Furthermore, a cancellation insurance with a pandemic cover must have taken out for the previous edition of the same event, either taking place wholly or partially in the Netherlands. In the case that the planned start date of the event was scheduled between July 10 and September 24, organisers are entitled to receive a 100% subsidy.
For events that started before July 10 or after September 24, organisers will receive the largest part (80%) of the costs incurred as a gift. The remaining 20% needs to be repaid.
For this remainder, organisers can take out a loan at 2% interest per year. Since the situation in the Netherlands remains uncertain and events get cancelled, the government has decided to adjust the scheme by elimination the 20% repayment.
This means that the government intends to keep increasing the subsidy proportion until it reaches 100% of the eligible costs. This subsidy is mainly aimed to cover payments to subcontractors and suppliers of the event. Consider, for example, the construction of stands, security and technical facilities and the costs to keep the event safe.
|Does not apply to workers||
||Does not apply to citizens|
Social partners' role in designing the measure and form of involvement:
|Trade unions||Employers' organisations|
|Form||Not applicable||Not applicable|
Social partners' role in the implementation, monitoring and assessment phase:
This case is sector-specific
|Economic area||Sector (NACE level 2)|
|R - Arts, Entertainment And Recreation||R90 Creative, arts and entertainment activities|
This case is not occupation-specific.
Eurofound (2021), Temporary regulation subsidy for events, measure NL-2021-27/2089 (measures in Netherlands), EU PolicyWatch, Dublin, https://static.eurofound.europa.eu/covid19db/cases/NL-2021-27_2089.html
30 January 2023
Governments across the EU continue to implement policies to support citizens and businesses in the face of rising food and energy prices caused by the COVID-19 crisis and intensified by the war in Ukraine. This article summarises the policy responses as reported in Eurofound's EU PolicyWatch database from January to September 2022.Article
12 September 2022
Although the worldwide pandemic situation had already disrupted supply chains and triggered increases in energy and food prices in 2021, the situation deteriorated in 2022 with the Russian invasion of Ukraine.Article
12 September 2022
This article summarises the first policy responses that governments across the EU have started to implement to support companies affected by the rising prices, and those with commercial ties to Ukraine, Russia or Belarus.Article
5 July 2022
This article summarises the first policy responses of EU Member States, including those of the social partners and other civil society actors, enabling refugees to exercise their rights under the Temporary Protection Directive.Article
Disclaimer: This information has not been subject to the full Eurofound evaluation, editorial and publication process.